The use of respirometry as an operational tool in the wastewater treatment field has emerged over the past several decades as a powerful aid in understanding and troubleshooting the activated sludge process. A respirometer is a device used to measure the respiration rate of a living organism by measuring its exchange rate of oxygen and/or carbon dioxide. It allows investigation into how factors, such as age of the microorganisms or the addition of chemicals, affect the rate of respiration.
So imagine an analysis that enables an operator to see how operational changes such as the addition of certain chemicals, nutrients, waste streams, or bio-augmentation products might affect the biological wastewater treatment plant. Respirometry provides a sound method to determine if any of these changes have the potential to enhance treatment or cause a plant upset, thus forgoing the risk of potential NPDES violations.
Recognizing the incredible benefits of this analytical tool, Alloway has expanded its analytical services to include respirometry studies.
Data from these studies can assist operators in optimizing their systems in a number of ways:
- Energy Optimization through Nitrification Management
- Determining Treatability of Waste - Toxicity and Biodegradability
- Specific Toxicity to the Actual Biomass in the Biological Reactor
- Evaluating the Size of a Treatment Plant
- Simulate Growth Pressures to Determine the Best Ratio of Nutrients and Bioaugmentation Product
- Assessing Imported Feed Stocks and Health of the Digesting Culture
- rbCOD - Determining Rapidly Biodegradable Fractions of COD for Biological Nutrient Removal
- F / M (Food / Microorganisms) - Rapid estimate of the mass load or ratio between the BOD charge rate and the total amount of microorganisms (biomass MLVSS)
- Automatic Measurements of SOUR (Specific Oxygen Uptake Rate) and OUR (Oxygen Uptake Rate)
- Effect of the pH, temperature, oxygen, and conductivity in the biological activity
Equipment Sales and Rental
In addition to expert analytical services, Alloway is also the exclusive United States distributor for Surcis respirometry products. Surcis BM respirometers are compact, simple, and user friendly, with very low maintenance. Each unit is equipped with powerful software that measures key parameters on the actual wastewater treatment process, enabling operators to better evaluate factors such as nutrients, biomass, pH, temperature, retention time, and dissolved oxygen to see the overall impact on the plant’s microbiological growth.
Surcis offers several models of respirometers to meet the needs of the end-user.
Alloway also offers onsite training and support to assist you in establishing your respirometry testing capabilities.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information on purchasing or renting a respirometry system, or if you are interested in having Alloway perform a respirometry study for your facility.